Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jesus is in your boat


A while ago, I had been dealing with so much more than I thought I could handle. It was so easy to just look at the mess and ask God where he was in the midst of all of the chaos. One night I began to read Mark 4 and the story of Jesus and his disciples on the boat. Verses 35-40 really stood out to me.

"That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side."
Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him.
A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.
Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"
He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.
He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" Mark 4:35-40


Sometimes you will feel like God has fallen asleep on you and you are left alone in the storm, like you have to handle the situation in your own strength. But in reality Jesus was in control the entire time. God was not up in heaven saying, "Oh no! where did that storm come from? Jeez I hope my son can handle it! I didn't see that storm coming!" He knew that the storm would hit and that the men would be scared. In verse 39-40 do you see how calm Jesus is? He gets up and tells the storm to stop and then says, "Why are you so afraid?". He allowed it to happen so the men would learn to have faith and trust in him. If the boat sank Jesus would have been swimming to shore with the other men. Jesus was with them every step of the way.
Jesus is in your boat (life). Even at times it seems like you've been calling out and he’s just fallen asleep. He is still there and if you trust and cling on to him, he will rescue you. One weekend I was having trouble sleeping, I was exhausted, but my busy schedule left me no time for even a power nap. Monday came along and I had to be up at 8:30am to go to work. I could barely keep my eyes open. I got home at 11:30am and realized I had no time to sleep because I had to get ready to go to my college color and design class. I begged my mom to let me sleep in, but as usual she refused. No more than 10 minutes later, my professor calls and cancels class! I was as ecstatic as a sleep deprived girl could be. I went right back to bed and slept till I had to get ready for my other class at 3pm. I wholeheartedly believe God had my professor cancel class just for me. My professor never gave a reason for cancelling class and the weather that day was great. God was in my boat. He knew how tired I was and he cared so much about me that he actually cancelled class for me! My God is a loving God. He let me know that he wasn't asleep in my life and that he was paying attention to every pain and every happiness I faced.

No comments:

Post a Comment